Land of volcanoes

Lake Atitlan Guardians: Toliman, Atitlan and San Pedro
Photo by Maynor Ovando

Southern Guatemala has a chain formed by volcanoes. They shape the landscape of the foothills from Pacific slope to the highlands; this barrier is responsible for most of the endemism of northern Central America. Birds like Azure-rumped Tanager and Horned Guan are restricted to some volcanic areas between Mexico and Guatemala.

Atitlan Volcano
Photo by Maynor Ovando

Three from the 33 volcanoes in the country are active. Pacaya Volcano is the nearest to Guatemala City and is the most visited. Fuego Volcano is near Antigua Guatemala and Santiaguito Volcano in southwestern is the most active and dangerous.


San Pedro Volcano
Photo by Maynor Ovando

Hiking and birding on volcanoes is just great. All volcanoes has been decalared protected areas and most of them are National Parks that offers services and security to visitors.

Fuego Volcano
Photo by Maynor Ovando


Pacaya Volcano
Photo by Lemuel Valle

Posted by Maynor Ovando

http://www.birdwatchingguatemala.com/ is a registered trademark of Martsam Tour & Travel Copyright® 2,008
www.birdwatchingguatemala.com
www.martsam.com

Comments

Fernando said…
Hi!I like too much your blog. My girlfriend comes from La Antigua, Guatemala. Now she is living in Spain with me. I'll visit your blog again, it's cool.

I invite you to visit my blog:

http://equidistante.mifotoblog.com

I hope you that you like it as much as yours to me.

Bye!

Popular posts from this blog

A trip looking for motmot species

Birding around Flores, Peten